First Look: ASICS GEL-Course ACE
- Srixon/ASICS introduces the ASICS GEL-Course ACE golf shoe.
- Lightweight shock absorbers
- Available for men and women starting Jan. 27
Did you know ASICS made golf shoes? For many years, ASICS has produced and engineered top-quality running shoes, and still do, for those who love to run. I’m not one of those people. Not because of the shoe but because I hate running. PERIOD! However, golf … that I like.
Let’s see what makes the ASICS GEL-Course ACE shoe tick.
What’s to Know About ASICS
ASICS was founded in 1949 in Kobe, Japan, with just four employees. Their first shoe was for basketball, not golf or running. At the time, the basketball shoe was the hardest shoe to manufacture but the company’s founder, Mr. Onitsuka felt that “if he can overcome a high hurdle at the start, he will be able to continue overcoming other hurdles as well.” Today, the more than 9,000 employees adhere to the same mentality.
In recent years, the ASICS brand has faced tough times and it has shown. However, since John Barba wrote the First Look article on ASICS in late December 2019, their stock has climbed from $16 past the $19 mark. Whether that trend is solely due to partnering with Srixon/Cleveland/XXIO or because they kitted out the Japanese Olympic and Paralympic teams for the postponed Tokyo 2020 Games is undetermined.
Since partnering with Srixon/Cleveland/XXIO, ASICS has begun manufacturing golf shoes. We tested a couple of pairs in last year’s spiked and spikeless Buyer’s Guides and they held their own. But will ASICS continue the upward trend in 2021?
What’s New About the ASICS GEL-Course ACE?
The new ASICS GEL-Course ACE shoe was inspired by their legendary running shoes. The shape and appearance is reminiscent of their popular GEL-Cumulus 21 running shoe.
While more golfers are gravitating towards the spikeless shoe, ASICS listened to the golfer’s top priority: a waterproof lining.
The ASICS GEL-Course ACE’s biggest and best feature is the waterproof upper compared to their GLIDE and DUO BOAs which are only water resistant. Normally, when you hear “waterproof,” you think of stiff materials digging into your feet. However, the ACE shoe has a comfortable feel, like their running shoes, that most other waterproof shoes don’t have.
Just like other ASICS shoes, the biggest plus of the GEL-Course ACE is the overall comfort. According to ASICS, their knowledge of shock absorption and cushioning from their running shoe really makes an impact in the golf shoe with the ASICS GEL and Flytefoam technologies in the heel and sole.
The GEL-Course ACE is positioned nicely between the GEL-Course GLIDE and the GEL-Course DUO BOAs to complete the ASICS family.
ASICS GEL-Course ACE Key Features
- Lightweight Frame Work and Flexibility: Air mesh provides flexibility during the swing and while walking. ASICS FlyteFoam® provides lightweight shock absorption and plenty of durability.
- Flexible Waterproof Upper: Flexible mesh provides comfort while the thin PU and waterproof lining keep your feet dry in wet conditions.
- Supportive Fit: An air mesh at vamp and the integrated quarter panel provide a supportive fit while internal molded heel counter secures optimal foot support. Additional ankle padding helps ensure a custom fit that adapts to every move.
- Golf Specific Tooling: The FG traction sole pattern places spikes exactly where they need to be for stability and traction while walking the course. Rear-foot GEL cushioning reduces impact and increases shock absorption while toe and lateral rubber wraps help maintain balance throughout the golf swing.
How Did ASICS Perform in 2020 Most Wanted Testing?
What’s the point of a golf shoe if it doesn’t help you shoot lower scores? Think about traction, stability, comfort, lateral movement. If a shoe doesn’t perform well in those categories, you could spin out of the shot, lose balance, get blisters or to have too much or not enough movement when transitioning your weight during the swing. That said, how did the ASICS perform in the 2020 shoe test?
They held their own, considering they were a newcomer to MyGolfSpy Buyer’s Guides. The Glide and DUO Boa beat out some well-known brands such as FootJoy and NIKE. However, there’s always room for improvement. ASICS could have improved in the elements and traction sections but after testing the new ASICS GEL-Course ACE, I know they will score better based on their waterproof upper material. Traction and stability are yet to be determined. You will have to wait for the head-to-head testing to see where they finish against the best shoes in the industry.
Let me know how you think the ASICS GEL-Course ACE will perform in this year’s Buyer’s Guide. Post in the comment section.
ASICS GEl-Course ACE Availability
The ASICS GEL-Course ACE retail for $149.99 and are available in four different color schemes for men and women. Grab yours January 27th 2021.