For some, the “golf trip” is an annual circle on the calendar they plan their year around and for others rare opportunity to combine golf and travel. Either way, the change to get out and play golf away from everything, together with friends and family is something all golfers should experience. That said, planning a golf trip can be a monumental task with many questions:
- Where to go?
- What courses to play?
- Where to stay?
- How much is this all going to cost?
That last question is of great importance to a lot of people. To simplify the process and help golfers create a memorable trip without breaking the bank, we’ve asked Golfbreaks, the official golf travel partner of the PGA TOUR, for the best deals for top golf destinations. Here are the top five trips and the best times to get your golf trip deals.
1. La Quinta Resort & Club and PGA WEST, Palm Springs
3 nights and 3 rounds at PGA WEST (1 x Stadium, 1 x Norman, Mountain or Nicklaus, 1 x Dunes)
- 2nd half Sept prices from $499 (35% discount from October rates)
Officially, golf in Palm Springs can be played year round, but the summer heat can it unbearable for much of June through August. Late September can provide lower temperatures but still avoid the peak rates in October. While the Stadium course at PGA WEST is the headliner, all courses provide great golf trip deal experiences and the La Quinta Resort a comfortable place to come back to after the round.
$769 / $499 (35% OFF)
2. Scottsdale Golf Tour staying at HYATT House Old Town Scottsdale
3 nights and 3 rounds (TPC Scottsdale Stadium & Champions and Troon North)
- 2nd half Sept prices from $619 (41% discount from October rates)
Like Palm Springs, Scottsdale also features opportunities to find a sweet spot of off-peak pricing and manageable weather in the second half of September. If you can’t decide on just one course to play, the Scottsdale Golf Tour provides three unique experiences with a central location to stay.
$1049 / $619 (41% OFF)
3. Boulders Resort & Spa, Scottsdale
3 nights and 3 rounds (1 x Boulders North Course, 1 x Boulders South Course, 1 x Troon North – Pinnacle or Monument Course)
- 2nd half Sept prices from $879 (31% discount from October rates)
It’s important to note that many courses are deep into maintenance and over-seeding during the late summer, limiting availability for off-peak prices. If you can take advantage of the openings, however, you can discover great golf trip deals at top-rated Boulders Resort at almost half the normal season price.
$1265 / $879 (31% OFF)
4. Sawgrass Marriott Golf Resort & Spa
3 nights and 3 rounds (TPC Sawgrass – 1 x Stadium Course, 1 x Dye’s Valley and 1 x South Hampton)
End of Sept prices from $1245 (21% less than October rates)
Like the Southwestern United States, Florida features an officially year round golf seasons with summer weather making this less than ideal in practice. Sawgrass Marriott Golf Resort doesn’t see as steep of September discounts as other locations, but still provides a rare opportunity to pay less than full price.
$1569 / $1245 (21% OFF)
5. Arnold Palmer’s Bay Hill Club & Lodge
3 nights and 3 rounds (2 x Bay Hill, 1 x Disney Magnolia)
End of Sept prices from $755 (23% less than October rates)
With summer vacations wrapping up by September, there is a brief window to stay & play at Arnold Palmer’s Bay Hill Club before the fall golf peak kicks into high gear. Toss in a round at the well-regarded Disney Magnolia course as well and you should have a first-class golf trip.
$975 / $755 (23% OFF)
Additional Golf Trip Deals Winter Options
While the winter and early spring tend to be the peak seasons for both the Southwest and Florida, discount trips can be found at top notch courses if you can time them around the end of the year and holiday season. This is before the main flocks of “snowbirds” tend to arrive in January. While prices are higher than the late summer rates, the advantage is the courses will be in fantastic condition. You’ll find generally good weather as well.
La Quinta Resort & Club and PGA WEST, Palm Springs
- Nov / Dec from $849
- Feb from $1185 (40% increase)
Westin Mission Hills Golf Resort & Spa, Palm Springs
- Nov / Dec from $719
- Feb from $965 (34% increase)
Scottsdale Golf Tour staying at HYATT House Old Town Scottsdale
- Nov / Dec from $569
- Feb from $929 (63% increase)
Boulders Resort & Spa, Scottsdale
- Nov / Dec from $1349
- Feb from $1669 (24% increase)
Sawgrass Marriott Golf Resort & Spa
- Dec / Jan from $1245
- Feb from $1625 (31% increase)
Arnold Palmer’s Bay Hill Club & Lodge
- Dec from $999
- Feb from $1399 (40% increase)
Innisbrook Golf Resort
- Nov & Dec from $1059
- Feb $1265 (19% increase)
Trump National Doral Miami
- Nov & Dec from $1315
- Jan & Feb from $1555 (18% increase)
More Savings Tips:
In addition to getting the right season, there are a few other tips offered by Golfbreaks to save money on your next golf trip:
- Be flexible with your tee times – Just like your home course, these resorts will have various green fee tiers throughout the day. While you might not want to be fighting daylight just to get in 18 holes on your trip, avoiding the peak hours can offer significant savings.
- Hunt for free replays – For many the goal of a good trip is to get in as much golf as possible, 36 holes a day at a minimum. Instead of paying two green fees, target resorts that offer free or steeply discounted replays to maximize the dollars per stroke average.
- Watch out for parking and resort fees – Like most all destinations these days, many golf resorts have parking and other resort fees paid separately from pre-booked packages. If you drive several cars or have several rooms, these fees can really add up. Make sure to read the fine print and plan accordingly.