2021 Best Putter—Who Takes the Title?
With 2021 coming to a close, let’s take a look back and crown the year’s best putter.
In 2021, there were two putters that stole the show:
- Most Wanted Mallet Putter – Odyssey Triple Track 2-Ball
- Most Wanted Blade Putter – Odyssey White Hot OG #1 Stroke Lab
Let’s see which putter claims the 2021 Best Putter title.
Most Wanted Putter Testing
Most Wanted Putter testing features 20 testers. Throughout testing, testers hit putts from five, 10 and 20 feet. Results were calculated using our Strokes Gained methodologies. For this segment, we’re looking at data from the 18 testers who participated in both the Most Wanted Blade and Most Wanted Mallet tests.
- Odyssey Triple Track 2-Ball – The reigning 2020 Most Wanted Mallet Putter once again displayed its superiority by becoming the 2021 Most Wanted Mallet Putter. Featuring Triple Track alignment, Stroke Lab technology and the Microhinge Star insert, the Triple Track 2-Ball packs a punch with innovation.
- Odyssey White Hot OG #1 Stroke Lab – Nostalgia comes in at full force with this addition to Odyssey’s lineup. Reintroducing their iconic “White Hot” face insert, a revamped Stroke Lab putter shaft and a traditional blade look, the White Hot OG #1 Stroke Lab propelled itself to the top of the 2021 Most Wanted Blade test.
Strokes Gained Results
Through our Strokes Gained methodologies, here are the results for each putter against their corresponding fields:
As you can see, the White Hot OG #1 Stroke Lab takes the edge from five and 10 feet and overall Strokes Gained. Meanwhile, Triple Track 2-Ball narrowly beats the White Hot OG #1 Stroke Lab at 20 feet.
1. White Hot From 5 and 10 Feet
If you made more putts from within 10 feet, how drastically would your scores change?
Throughout testing, the Odyssey White Hot OG #1 Stroke Lab displayed exceptional performance from five and 10 feet compared to the Odyssey Triple Track 2-Ball. From five and 10 feet, the WH OG #1 Stroke Lab required five and six less putts respectively versus the Triple Track 2-Ball. Five and six don’t seem like earth-shattering numbers but golf is a game of small numbers, and those numbers add up over time.
2. Difference Makers From 20 Feet
Consistency and performance from within 20 feet are crucial. Both the White Hot OG #1 Stroke Lab and the Triple Track 2-Ball showcase consistency and performance at 20 feet. From 20 feet, Triple Track 2-Ball ousts the White Hot OG #1 Stroke Lab by two total putts. A thin margin but it demonstrates just how good both of these putters can perform from 20 feet.
3. 2021’s Best Putter
Overall, the Odyssey White Hot OG #1 Stroke Lab is the best putter of 2021. Not only did it have the best Strokes Gained score, it also has the fewest total putts. The White Hot OG #1 Stroke Lab had a total of 643 putts, nine fewer than the Triple Track 2-Ball.
The biggest areas of separation were five and 10 feet. By making five and six more putts respectively than the Triple Track 2-Ball, White Hot OG #1 Stroke Lab provided consistency from closer distances. Think about it. If you can make nearly three percent more putts from within 10 feet, how much would it positively affect your scores?
Both of these putters perform exceptionally well within their classifications. Under our Strokes Gained methodologies, they are putters worthy of your consideration whether you favor a blade or a mallet. Having said that, we determined there is only one 2021 Best Putter and that is the Odyssey White Hot OG #1 Stroke Lab.
*We may earn a commission when you buy through links on our site.